Meet the Artist
Birds & Blossoms (formerly called VanDuinen Studio, LLC) is a one-woman show crafted and owned by yours truly, Hannah VanDuinen. I call this place "Home of the Perfect Finishing Touch" because that is what I most love designing - the décor details that really make a space feel like your own. No more cookie cutter décor that looks like everyone else's!
✨ Before you visit the shop, make sure you click here to sign up for weekly updates from the studio! You'll automatically receive a 15% discount to use on anything in my store, plus a free art print to download. ✨
How the Studio Came to Be
I have always looked for the creative route through life. I spent high school immersed in song and story, and I majored in English Literature in college. Upon graduating, I landed in a technical writing gig that was intellectually stimulating but came with a company culture that was.....hostile, to put it mildly. A few years later, I got pregnant with my first daughter, and my husband and I cheerfully concluded that my paycheck was not worth paying through the teeth for daycare to maintain. I became a stay-at-home mom.
However, once the shock of the newborn phase wore off a little and I returned to sleeping more than an hour at a time, I realized that I needed to carve out SOME kind of time for myself that felt more intellectually stimulating than the daily Daniel Tiger episode. I ended up doing the same type of technical writing for a new (and much more awesome) company, but even that didn't entirely scratch the itch.
I didn't find my direction until I started dusting off my old art supplies and putting them to use. I started selling jewelry and crocheted accessories at craft fairs. Before I knew it, I had a website and a blog and business cards.
And thus, VanDuinen Studio was born. In 2022, VanDuinen Studio became Birds & Blossoms to better reflect my work and give me a little more flexibility/recognition factor. Over the years, my approach and products and even my output consistency have morphed depending on circumstances, but my goal remains the same: to connect with fellow creative souls through a shared love of the visual arts, and to generate income doing work that I am truly, madly, deeply passionate about.
Bonus: I get to demonstrate in real time that it's possible to succeed at the dreams you chase! The next generation has been watching closely:
Shop unique art: First and foremost, you can always find my original works in the shop. There are pieces perfect for a living room, nursery, office, and any other rooms you need to decorate. You can also find t-shirts through TeePublic or fabric through Spoonflower, if you prefer!
Licensing: I am extremely interested in licensing my art to brands. Art directors and business owners can view my full portfolio here, and you can email me anytime to discuss collaboration opportunities.
Teaching: I am a Skillshare teacher. Find my class(es) here, and enjoy a free 14-day trial of Skillshare Premium for using this link!
- VIP community: Join the community! I send out a weekly newsletter that is jam-packed with sources of inspiration, cool finds, studio news, and exclusive discounts. Speaking of discounts - you'll get 15% off your first purchase from the store just for signing up!
- Redfin Blog: Redfin has an active blog filled with advice for everything home-related! I was quoted in their article posted on December 16, 2021. The article covers all sorts of input from real artists about decorating your home with unique art.
- Deinki's Blog: After participating in her #30FlowersInMyStyle challenge in 2021, I was featured in Lucia's wrap-up post among many other amazing pattern designers
- Creative Powerhouse Mini Course: I was interviewed on my progress as a creative business owner by Stacie Bloomfield, owner of Gingiber and teacher of Leverage Your Art. The interview appeared on Video #1 of the Creative Powerhouse Mini Course in Spring 2021
- Podcast Interview: Pushy Broad from the Bronx (my interview starts at 35:44)
- Good Debate Prize, ArtPrize 2021